Friday, December 12, 2008

Nerd Journal: Snow-Blogging


1 snowflake = a lovely bit of nature's art.
A gazillion snowflakes = nature's attempt to kill you.


You may have noticed that I've been blogging a lot today. It's because I am snowbound at home. As you may have heard on the news, a massive snowstorm is pounding the entire East Coast of the U.S., and it is a very nasty bit of weather even by East Coast standards.

At last report, 1 million people have no electricity because the snow and ice have knocked out power lines. I am lucky; I have my power still on (and I'm using it to watch the Weather Channel obsessively). Those poor people -- no power for heat in this kind of weather!

I'm peeking through my blinds (they're CLOSED in an attempt to keep the cold out), and the snowflakes are falling fast in swirling clouds from a pearly-gray sky. I feel as though I'm living in a snowglobe. The inches of snow are piling up!

The scene is all very pretty in a wintry sort of way, but it's only "pretty" because I am safe and warm indoors and I don't have to be out in the snow and wind. No cars are on the roads except for the tireless snowplows trying to keep those roads clear (thank you, snowplow driver-guys!), and this is really dangerous weather for traveling anywhere.

Schools and businesses are closed, and the governors of New Hampshire and Massachuetts have declared states of emergency for their states. Ai-ya!

Brrrrrrrr! Oh, I hate winter! Today's holiday song is NOT "Let It Snow."

No comments: