Saturday, March 14, 2009

Nerd/Geek Fun: Happy Pi Day (+ Spring's First Robin)

What's special about today?  Two things in my universe, actually.

One: this afternoon I saw spring's first robin, bold and red-breasted, standng imperiously on a patch of muddy grass where the snow had melted.  Where there are robins, spring can't be far behind -- thank goodness.  It's been a long winter.

Two: today is also Pi Day (3/14)!  Rejoice, math fans!

In honor of Pi Day, I give you this:



Pun aside, it IS a round object with circumference and diameter and therefore very pi-relevant.

RELATED POSTS:
UPDATE 1: Pi pizza!

UPDATE 2:  Pi pie!

UPDATE 3: The House of Representatives recognizes pi.  Well, they might as well, since their stimulus bill was one big pork pie,as my friend Bella Thalia shouted.  Hey, wait a minute...the economy's in the tank, the country's upset, and there the Congressional clowns are mucking about with pi?  Then again, every math geek knows that pi is an irrational number.  Oh, I can't contain my own snark!

UPDATE 4:  Albert Einstein was born on Pi Day.  Well, whaddya know?

No comments: