Monday, July 12, 2010

Nerd Journal: Evil Enablers Gonna Enable!

Haters gonna hate; enablers gonna ... enable.  La Parisienne and I don't believe in keeping our personal obsessions to ourselves.  We believe in SHARING.  Besides, we only obsess about things worth obsessing about, right?

So recently I got a conspiratorial text from the lovely lady (fresh from a previous triumph) saying that she was going to inflict "Farscape" on Count Chocula.  That same day, I got a text from Count Chockula telling me that he had gotten sucked into "Farscape."  That Parisienne doesn't waste any time!  Dang, girl!  And
"Farscape" was a great sci-fi TV show -- and gone before its time, much like the late, lamented "Firefly."


As for me, yesterday I was busy enabling Foxtrot and Ladybird and Alessandra to watch "Doctor Who" (before and after the World Cup match -- a roomful of friends with HDTV and premium ice cream and a soccer championship and the TARDIS ... Do Sunday afternoons get much better?).  So, yeah, I'd been catching some flak from Alessandra for my Who obsession, but I had them all watch the two-parter "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead," and that did it for these neophytes to the Whoniverse!


The tipping point: The furious Ten confronting the alien predator Vashta Nerada:  "
Don't play games with me! You just killed someone I like; that is not a safe place to stand!  I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. Look me up."

Don't mess with Texas  Ten.

And then the murderous monster
retreats.

Me: "Admit it.  That's hot."
Alessandra, grudgingly: "All right, that IS hot."
Me: *dance of triumph*

Well, then!  Besides that, the narrative is fun, and watching the ladies respond to it was even more fun.  You could nearly have heard the gears whirring in their heads as they were processing it.  It's a thinking woman's show. We all had a great time.  (And more fun, I dare say, than we had watching the Netherlands-Spain game, which was mostly -- as one of my soccer-loving Nerd Lords said -- "lousy.")


Then we did a selection of different episode intros, and to finish it off with a comedy chaser, we watched the delightful episode from the latest season, 
"The Lodger."  Yes, I'm the Typhoid Mary of Who obsession, and so is La Parisienne.  We share our obsessions because we want you to have as much sci-fi fun with them as we do!  

No comments: