Sunday, September 14, 2008

Movie News: Preview + Trailer for "The Soloist"

Here's a nice blurb from Slash Film, and here's the official website.

The trailer looks good, actually. When I first heard about this flick, I was afraid it was going to be obvious "Oscar bait" -- of the type that I simply hate, the type so accurately pilloried and ridiculed in "Tropic Thunder."

Still, 2008 seems to be Robert Downey Jr.'s year for playing interesting, multi-faceted characters, and he's won me over. I'll go to see him take the role of Steve Lopez, the journalist who befriends a gifted but troubled and homeless musician (Nathaniel Ayers, played by Jamie Foxx).

The film is based on a true story. Check out the actual Los Angeles Times article that started it all. Lopez has also written a book on the topic.

"The Soloist" opens on November 21, right on cue for the holiday movie season. I'm hoping for a great soundtrack too!

UPDATE: Apple trailers has a making-of featurette too. I'm not too excited with the movie's poster, though.

No comments: