Friday, September 26, 2008

Nerdworld Soundtrack: Song for a Tired and Savage Nerd

Maybe Congreve is right in his 1697 play The Mourning Bride when he said, "Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast."

It's nearly lunchtime, I've been pounding away at my work since 6 AM, I feel as though I'm making no real progress even though I've burned through piles of work and sent a million business-related emails, and I am utterly exhausted and out of sorts. Plus I have a case of eyestrain like you wouldn't believe. My eyeballs are going to pop out of my head at any moment now. I want to take a sledgehammer and smash my laptop. I teach a class later too. I hope I don't shred any undergraduate who is intrepid enough to cross me when I'm in a mood like this one.

On the Nerdworld Soundtrack right now as a desperate attempt to prevent me from sinking into homicide (or computer-cide!): the lyrical, lovely strains of "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring." No "Poison" today -- I need to detox from research-mania.

No comments: