Thursday, September 25, 2008

Nerd Journal: Falling Prey to "Supernatural"

True confessions time. I've laughed at La Parisienne and the Cinema-Mad Sibling for a while now for their watching "Supernatural." A long time ago, I'd watched the pilot, thought it was terrible, and never went back despite La Parisienne's protestations that the show improved over time. Ditto from the Sibling.

Within the last few weeks, the Sib, in a move of such brilliant and wicked cruelty that only a sibling could devise it, has decided to take his revenge.

This is what he did. He -- without my desire or request -- sent me the box set of season one of "Supernatural." He KNEW that when I work on my laptop, I like to have a DVD playing for noise. He KNEW I was looking for something new.

The "Supernatural" set arrived. You know what happened. Like Pandora opening her deadly box, I opened the set and stuck a DVD into my DVD player, thinking, "Meh. At least it's something I haven't seen, and I need some noise so I don't fall asleep while I'm typing footnotes."

I AM A IDIOT OF TRULY MORONIC MAGNIFICENCE. I got sucked into the show as if it were a black hole. Maybe I'm just in the right mood these days for the show's peculiar brand of completely silly entertainment, but I have to confess to an embarrassed interest. The pilot was still terrible, though, and lots of season one was too ("Bugs"?!), but I have to admit it: La Parisienne was right and the thing did improve over time. (Still, it's hard to see how it could NOT improve since it started out so badly! But anyway . . . )



Pandora's DVD Box Set

It's Thursday night, and "Supernatural" is on later. OK, Cine-Sib, La Parisienne, and Kamikaze Editor, you all win. I give up. OK. You can all go now to snicker and cackle. (But I am sure as hell NOT going to turn into a Jensen Ackles fangirl. I still have a little pride left!)

I can't believe I'm confessing to this. The strongest thing I've drunken today is bubbly aranciata -- it's just orange soda! Maybe the bubbles went to my brain. Then again, Nerdworld exhaustion and despair can make people do weird things. Plus, today I got a little package in my mailbox. It was from the Cine-Sib. I opened it, and out fell -- yes, you know it! -- season two of "Supernatural." The man is EVIL! I'm doomed. And yet now also determined to devise some kind of utterly unholy retaliation. I need some inspiration. Oh, yes. Ohhhhhh, yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Season two is my favorite! Have fun and welcome.

Mad Minerva said...

Parisienne, I know it's you, cherie! Don't bother denying it, you there hiding behind "Anonymous"!

Anonymous said...

I deny nothing.

Margaret Larkin said...

I never got into that show--luckily! I don't need to get into anything else right now.