Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nerd Journal: Total Insomnia and DVD Recommendation: "The Great Escape"

FYI, I'm so used to keeping weird hours that even when I don't have to stay up late, I just can't seem to go to sleep at a decent, civilized hour. I can't sleep late, either. Even this morning, I was up before 7 AM, and I couldn't stop myself. Perhaps I have a serious case of Nocturnal Energy Re-distribution Disorder, otherwise known as N.E.R.D.

So what am I doing? Working on school things (a few papers, a few books) while reading Asia news online -- and all the while DVDs play softly in the background. I'm one of those people who can't work in complete silence. I need noise. Not a lot. Just a little. But there has to be some noise.

By the way, latest classic movie DVD recommendation: "The Great Escape" (1963). Steve McQueen is simply great as the indomitable, indefatigable "Cooler King," and he's joined by an all-star cast that includes a young James Coburn (hey, James Coburn was actually young at one point? who knew?).

You know, I do love this movie. In fact, maybe it's a great metaphor for graduate work! Surrounded by people whose job is to keep you down, eh? Never despair, never give up, and never lose your sense of self and purpose. Fabulous. I doubt I'll be digging tunnels under Nerdworld anytime soon, but the desire to escape does strike a certain chord!

Now the jaunty, cheerfully defiant theme song is stuck in my head. Uh-oh. So, because I am an evil human being, I will try my level best to make sure that it gets stuck in yours too:


No comments: