Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

I'm off with my buddies again, but I would be remiss if I didn't wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day, and especially to all those who were or are in the armed services--a big thank you. See a related post at Dignified Rant too.

Actually, this project looks interesting. It's starting today: an effort to send the largest shipment of care packages in history to American troops. It looks like a great idea for a great cause. Perhaps you'll look into this or any of the various charitable efforts that are available for doing something practical and useful for the guys and girls in uniform.

I suppose I could now write an entire post full of historical references about the role of the American military in peace and war -- and how it's been a force for good overall from helping in natural disasters to holding the line against totalitarian regimes -- but it's a HOLIDAY, and my buddies are waiting. I'll leave it up to you to think about these issues, OK?

Have a great holiday, everyone!

3 comments:

Pat Patterson said...

Uh, "Happy Memorial Day?" I know you meant well but a day of reflection set aside for the dead of America's wars doesn't strike me as particularly happy.

"...What candles my be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmer of goood-byes.
The pallor of girl's brows still be their pall:
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds."

Wilfred Owen

Mad Minerva said...

Point taken -- though most folks spend the holiday at the beach or with family or having fun, so that's really what I meant.

Pat Patterson said...

I guess I have spent too many Memorial Days in military cemetaries with generations of family members buried there going back to the War of 1812. An honor and a duty I actually could do well without.