Friday, May 30, 2008

Taiwan and China Talks: Wu Hu?

I stole the title and the story from blogfriend Dignified Rant, who has a very interesting post about talks between Hu Jintao and the KMT, starting with KMT bigshot Wu Poh-Hsiung.

I'm trying to be objective here, but frankly my knee-jerk reaction is deep cynicism and the urge to yell for caution. I'm with Brian on this one in wondering if Beijing's lulling Taiwan into a false sense of security.

As I've said before, it's time to watch Ma and the KMT very, very carefully. I don't trust those guys any farther than I can throw them, and I am not at all convinced that they will hold the line against any encroachment on Taiwanese sovereignty.

UPDATE: View From Taiwan opines that Wu has sold out Taiwan. Are we really looking at a KMT-CCP platform/alliance? Two beacons of democracy, eh? The blood runs cold.

No comments: