Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Nerd Journal: Shoes for a Nerdmoot

OK, now for a completely frivolous post!

I am going to several Nerdmoots (i.e., academic conferences) in the near future, so I am thinking about what to wear. I have acquired a nice black skirt suit, and now I'm looking for shoes. Mmmm, shoes!

I had thought about wearing my usual beautiful-but-impractical black high heels, but now I have another idea. Did you see Sarah Palin's lovely shoes last Friday? They were dark red high heels, and I thought they were great with her black suit!



Ruby slippers for 2008:
"There's no place like home, and I mean the White House!"


SOOOO, I am thinking about following in her (literal) footsteps for the Nerdmoots. My black suit will say, hello, I am a professional. The shoes will say (I hope), hello, and I also have a personality. A little sass, a little class, all understated, please. Add matching dark red handbag/laptop case. Possibly add a simple necklace of small, small pearls. I just desperately don't want to be another boring nerd. (Ooooooooo, barracuda . . . with great shoes. *Giggle*) No, seriously, at Nerdmoots, I literally transmogrify into another person when necessary for self-preservation, which is often. You'd never know I was your goofy, playful hostess who likes baking cookies and watching movies. At Nerdmoots, I will kill you with my footnotes and documentation, rowr!

But back to the shoes, shoes, shoes. Here they are, the shoes I've been looking at: elegant dark red slingback heels. These are kind of cute too. Or perhaps these peep-toe heels with a fun little buckle detail. These are a bit more girlish, and I might feel the need to run away and join a Broadway chorus line. These just might kill me. Would The Manolo approve of any of these?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks.

So I'm sitting here looking at your Vaneli Polly high heels with their "Sexy peep toe accented with croco print strap and metal buckle," thinking, Dang, my favorite wild and crazy nerd is thinking about getting a pair of these? What? Do I need to adjust my mental image of her? when my tough-as-Genghis Kazakh buddy swaggers in.

So how do I explain that!? Huh?

Mad Minerva said...

Those particular shoes would probably kill me. I guess they're only "eye candy"! Anyhoo, me at Nerdmoots is different from the usual me. Putting on high heels and a sharp suit is kind of like suiting up in armor. Ha!

Dunno what to do about your Kazakh pal -- maybe go out and watch some manly sports? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Watch? Oh, no. I think blood will be required on the field of honor (i.e., soccer field, basketball court, etc.). ;-)

Mad Minerva said...

Sounds like it's time to cowboy up, pal! ;-)