Monday, September 01, 2008

Public Service Announcement: I Don't Care How Many Houses Somebody Has

I just thought I'd throw this idea out there. The moronic meme about McCain's multiple mansions (like that alliteration, did you?) is silly. The leftist soapboxing sounds more like, "How dare he have money! And how dare he use it as he pleases!"

You can probably see that I don't care about his houses or anybody else's house(s). (OK, unless it's Al Gore's loopy energy-sucking monster where he lives while purporting to tell the rest of us carbon criminals and Gaia-heretics to cut back on energy consumption. Oh, please. Welcome to Chez Hypocrisy. But I digress.)

Anyway, I for one would love having multiple houses. Yes, indeedy, I unabashedly declare my total disregard for my carbon footprint or anything else. If I had the money, I would happily plunk down some of it for houses or flats in various places. Because it would make travel SOOOO much easier. Plus, it'd be so fun to share them with my friends and relatives. I wouldn't get ridiculous castle-like AlGorean piles, but cute little flats or cozy little houses would be FABULOUS.

And I wouldn't care at all what people thought about what I was doing with my own money and/or property. By the way, I can fantasize if I want to, because as a nerd, I have neither.

So, let's take an informal survey of all you gentle readers. If you could have houses in multiple places, where would you want them?

Various friends in conversation have named some of their fantasy choices: something nice at Nerdworld, New York, Austin, London, Rome, Port Elizabeth (South Africa), Los Angeles, Taipei, somewhere in the English/French/Italian countryside . . . Or, as some other buddies suggested, choose by geographical feature: somewhere in the mountains, by the seaside, in the country, in the city . . . somewhere in Euroland and in the Far East . . .

1 comment:

Pat Patterson said...

I kept the list short;

Bell's Beach in Victoria Australia-Because it's cheap and the surfing beach is surrounded by a national park. You have to walk in.

Jeffrey's Bay, SA-Famouns from Bruce Browns's Endless Summer, a point break and not very cheap at all. Mainly vacation homes for Afrikaaners and ANC officials with bodyguards and Mercedes limos.

Carapateira, Portugal-A whole region of surf spots mostly cheap but some very expensive homes and hotels. Plus the occasional fun when the Spanish chase some members of ETA across the border. And the Potuguese, who hate the Basques, will search under every rock and hay bale to catch these undocumented workers.

Florianipolis, Brazil-Dozens of good spots, cheap but very crowded and often noted for electing Marxists as mayors or as national politicians but who tend to be too busy stealing to do much damage to the economy. Though the Portuguese spoken there is indecipherable.

And finally, Pt. Dume, CA-A very expensive, prices start at $1.5 million can can top out at $10-12 million, gated community near Malibu with about a dozen good breaks. Mainly home to drug addicted "philanthropists" burning through their inheritance, nouveau riche musicians and tv stars that never figure out that speed bumps and Ferraris are not a good combination and a hard core group of ancient retired teachers who bought their property in the 50's and are paying around $1,000 a year in property taxes because of Proposition 13. Plus well-armed guards of which one is a former Israeli paratrooper who really wants to shoot an heiress before going back to shoot at Syrians.

Hmmm, all surfing spots, I sense a trend.