Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Quote of the Day + DVD Recommendation for the Fourth of July

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace. Two are a law firm, and three or more become a Congress."
-- William Daniels as John Adams in 1776 (1972)

Ah, Congress! Still, I'm decently sure that Adams's lot was not quite as reprehensible as the current lot on Capitol Hill.

Today is July 1 (Happy Canada Day to all those in the Great White North, by the way, and happy 142nd birthday), and some of my fellow nerds and I are starting to think about the Fourth of July! We're planning a massive food-fest and get-together (I will probably bake a dessert to take as my contribution . . . Flying Shrapnel Death Pie?).

Last night I popped 1776 into the DVD player, the 1972 film version of the Broadway musical. I'd forgotten how delightful it is. Ben Franklin has always been my favorite character in it. The musical film is great fun, though you'd better brush up your American Revolutionary history before you watch it or you might become confused about who is who! The Declaration of Independence has never been so melodically presented.

UPDATE: Quite Rightly is also thinking about John Adams.

No comments: