Thursday, July 31, 2008

Film Culture Commentary: Kyle Smith on Batman (and Spiderman)

Kyle Smith, a film critic who's always worth reading, has an interesting article on "The Dark Knight" in the context of current events.

Digression: Smith also talks about why the new Batman is so much more compelling than "Spider-Man 2," which he criticizes as being a boring flick. And for that, I just wanted to say . . . "Thank you, Kyle!" That makes me feel less alone, because when "Spider-Man 2" came out a few years ago to great fanfare, rave reviews, and 93% at RottenTomatoes, I felt like the only critic who hated it. (FYI, that review is on my archived old blog, so you can't comment there anymore. Please comment on this post instead.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't ever really that impressed with ANY of the Spiderman movies.

Pat Patterson said...

There were 3 Spiderman films?

Mad Minerva said...

3. The first is OK; the other 2 weren't.

Anonymous said...

I think that SPIDER-MAN 2 is superior to both BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. And I really hate the last 30 minutes of THE DARK KNIGHT. I found it soooo unecessary.