Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Independence Day

Happy Independence Day to all on this Fourth of July!



I am off for the holiday, as the Cinema-Mad Sibling and I are soon leaving to celebrate with our friends. A large number of us are going out of town together for a long day trip: Alessandra, Ladybird, Foxtrot, and others too. From parades to hot dogs to fireworks, we're ready for some fun. (And yes, we have lots of sunscreen too -- the day is blazing hot and sunny, as Fourth of July should be.) Time for friends: I already had some lovely time with Il Barista and La Parisienne a couple nights ago.

For quieter moments, I give you a few thoughts, a link to the Declaration of Independence, a book recommendation, and a chance to reflect on what is right and good about this great nation, the oldest modern democracy in the world. I'm still proud to be an American -- and as this recent study suggests, so are many of my fellow countrymen (and countrywomen).

Have a great holiday. I'll see you back here in the aftermath!

UPDATE: It's past midnight, and I finally am home, exhausted but happy. By the way, the fireworks were FABULOUS! *MM stumbles off to bed, whistling a few bars of John Philip Sousa.*

No comments: