Monday, July 14, 2008

A Note on the Tour de France: I Love That Polka-Dot Jersey

We're about halfway through the Tour de France, and I'm having a hard time explaining why I love watching this thing. It's a summertime tradition. I mean, sure, it started with looking to see what all the fuss was about when the mighty Lance Armstrong first started ruling the race, but he's retired and I'm still watching.

Right now the race is in brutal mountain stages, and I have to say, I just have to love a race that has a position actually known as "King of the Mountains" . . . and acknowledges this by giving the man a POLKA-DOT JERSEY. Seriously. A white background with red polka dots. It looks like a pattern you'd see on a little girl's sundress. The thing would look silly if it didn't represent something as flat-out awesome as -- come on, bellow it out with feeling -- "King of the Mountains."

No comments: