Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nerd Journal: I Am A Crass Musical Yahoo

Oh, I simply have to share this slice of nerd life. I was just talking to fellow nerdette Opera Diva, and we were talking about music we listen to while working.

She said her latest preference was 18th-century German concertos. Now, doesn't that sound all nice and cultured and refined and elegant and intelligent?

So did I say? What am I listening to, right this minute, while I'm working in one window and blogging in another? AC/DC, Alice Cooper, and Audioslave. With a dash of Linkin Park. Yeah! Crank up the volume!

Opera Diva politely didn't say anything, but I could tell she wasn't too impressed. At all. It was as if she asked whether I preferred filet mignon or beef Wellington, and I said, "I want a Big Mac." A slightly uncomfortable silence fell on the conversation. It lasted only a moment, but it was there! I tried very hard not to laugh. The Diva is a classically trained singer. I failed my piano lessons when I was a kid. Really!

I confess: I am a crass, crude, uncivilized musical yahoo! But in my defense, I'll have to say that my musical playlist this morning is like coffee for the ears -- it'll wake you right up! *wink*

4 comments:

Pat Patterson said...

Opera Diva appears to have never visited or heard performances at Itly's version of WWF, La Scala. Guys in overcoats, gentlemen with needle tracks on their arms, women of a certain age with a death grip on their youth, students who got in on scalped tickets and above it all a clangorous din that gets even louder, if displeased with the performance or the staging, in the balcony and eventually descends on the nabobs in the good seats who then join in the clamor for fear of spending the next two or so hours picking gum and cigarette butts from their hair and from their clothing. Mob rule at its finest.

Loud and boisterous and during the intermission when I heard Turandot the noise level was even greater. Everyone arguing of which act was better, singing and yelling and pointing at the libretto for real and imagined mistakes. And the Wave and a beach ball, just like a Dodgers game but in another language.

Opera for the masses, popular music just like rock or The Jonas Brothers. Don't apologize for being contemporary!

Anonymous said...

Italy has its own version of the World Wrestling Federation? I guess they invented combat entertainment. Hey, do you think gladiators got the Combat Entertainer patch?

Contemporary ... hmm, where's my dictionary? I gave up contemporary when I left the country for almost a decade. It's not that I have anything against it; I just can't speak it anymore. You say Linkin Park, I say The Boom.

What's on the box? Santana, BB King, Goo Goo Dolls, Hara Yuko, and Brad Paisley, with a shot of Jimmy Buffet, salt and a lime.

Pat Patterson said...

As a high school teacher contemporary is any band or singer the kids mention that I've never heard of before that particular moment. Bands and singers that next years crop of kids sneer at for being Oldies bands.

Plus have you seen some of the sizes and acting ability of the male singers?

Mad Minerva said...

This afternoon it's retropalooza with the Weather Girls, Sister Sledge, Aretha Franklin, the Supremes, and James Brown -- with a pinch of Elvis! Plus, yes, a teensy bit of "Kung Fu Fighting," natch.