Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kitchen Notes: Corn Dogs and the Festival Memory



Hot dogs in apotheosis.

Oh, man! I love corn dogs. I always associate them with fairs, festivals, outdoor holiday celebrations, and good friends. The last time I ate a corn dog was on the Fourth of July when I was at a big festival with a pack of friends (and, of course, Cine-Sib). That day we were busy eating corn dogs, gobbling funnel cakes, drinking lemonade, slurping snow cones, and watching fireworks. Ah, corn dogs! They have the magical power to make even cynical, exhausted nerds feel like kids again.

Corn dogs (or "corny dogs") are really about good memories. Well, OK, good memories and the sheer deliciousness of unhealthy fried food on a stick. What's not to love?

Here's a good corn dog recipe from the aptly named Homesick Texan, who misses the corn dogs from the Texas State Fair.

I need a corn dog RIGHT NOW. I mean, RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE, DANG IT.

This post dedicated to Thalia out in the Governator's Cah-lee-for-nee-yah.

No comments: